On Wed, 22 Nov 2023 at 04:32, Mike Miller via Users
<users@lists.geany.org> wrote:

> On 2023-11-11 06:58, Pryor, Mike via Users wrote:
> > Geany silently ignores my
> > request to load the file.  Rather rude behavior, I should say.
>

> Reminds me of a mildly annoying issue—in that Geany will refuse to load a file
> with nulls or other "binary" data in it.
>
> Sort of understandable, but it doesn't do anything but shrug it off.

There is a message to status and status bar, its not silently shrugged
off.  Since normally Geany will actually try all encodings it knows to
see if they will work it does not show error messages from the
converters unless debug is set or the encoding is selected in the open
dialog.

That said, the open/encoding code has grown over time into a
multi-headed hydra so would not be surprised if there are not
"undocumented features" in it.