On 1/3/19 7:54 AM, Norman Feske wrote:
Hi John,

* What are your ambitions for 2018?

I have goals in three basic categories:

1. Desktop.  This has two parts.  The easy one is to switch to Genode as
my VirtualBox host.  But I also would like to have the VirtualBox Guest
Additions for using Genode within a VM.

Would this qualify for the roadmap?

the topic fits well with the overall theme that is emerging. I would
probably speak more generally about fostering the integration of Genode
with existing protocols and infrastructure. E.g., Emery's recent work
with 9p [1] would also fall in this category. Also, the use of Xpra
would be fitting [2].

[1] https://github.com/ehmry/ninep
[2] https://github.com/zorodc/genode-world/commits/xpra

Oh dear, those are interesting also. It's getting hard to keep up with it all! ;^)

That said, I would not go as far as making definite promises.

Speaking of the Guest Additions for Genode, I can imagine a nice picture
where Sculpt could offer a VBox shared folder as storage option in
addition to the detected AHCI/NVMe devices and the RAM fs. This way, the
user could host the Sculpt storage in a plain directory on a non-Genode
host system and deploy Sculpt within VirtualBox by accessing those
files. The integration would be quite seamless.

Yes, that would be very convenient.

I haven't thought this all the way through, but do you have any thoughts on handling mounted directories along side partitions, e.g., in Leitzentrale? I assume there would have to be some changes, but how major would they be?

--
 John J. Karcher
 devu...@alternateapproach.com