On 4/6/23 09:19, Alexander Boettcher wrote:
Hello,

currently we are testing our updates of ported Linux drivers [0] on various generations of Intel hardware. The available test hardware in the lab works fine, so far, but we can't be sure whether it applies to all systems out there.

You may support us, and thereby the next Sculpt release, by test driving the prepared images. The images are bootable via USB stick and can be prepared similar as documented for Sculpt [2]. With the tests by you, we may detect regression earlier, e.g. before the Sculpt release.

The test is very simple (and not sensational at all) and cycles through some test pictures. When external monitors are attached, the test pictures are mirrored across all connectors. The resolution changes automatically to the largest resolution available, so that monitors with smaller resolution will just show a part of the test picture (so, it is expected behavior).

Image [3] contains the driver based upon Linux kernel 6.1 as be part of Genode staging branch. Image [4] is a variation, which tries to use more of the drm/kms interfaces [2] (and is still work-in-progress). Ideally, both just work. Please also try to attach/detach connectors multiple times to stress the driver a bit.

[snip]

[3] https://depot.genode.org/alex-ab/images/intel_display_6_1.img
[4] https://depot.genode.org/alex-ab/images/intel_display_6_1_drm_kms.img

Sorry for the delay in running these tests, but I am happy to report that both 6.1 images worked fine on my ThinkPad L380 Yoga (with 16GB RAM) [1]. I tried it both with and without the external monitor, as well as plugging and unplugging the HDMI cable as quickly as I could.

If you have any more test images, I will be happy to test those also (hopefully more quickly)!

 Thanks!

  John J. Karcher
  devu...@alternateapproach.com

[1] https://www.notebookcheck.net/Lenovo-ThinkPad-L380-Yoga-i5-8250U-FHD-Convertible-Review.295936.0.html