Hi Stefan,

thank you for sharing you ideas and plans. I concur to each point 100%.

It would be great to revive the email user-agent topic. Could this endeavour be a welcome opportunity to stress Goa's new Rust support by experimenting with (existing?) Rust-based protocol implementations (IMAP, SMTP...) as building blocks? Ben wondered about a natural place for Rust in our picture. I sense that this use case could provide us with a tangible way to let the combination of Rust with Genode shine.

There exists a Linux audio driver port for newer Intel cards outside
the Genode mainline repository. It contains support for SoF (Sound
Open Firmware), which is used in i.MX 8MQ's sound landscape too (to my
knowledge). I would appreciate to enable sound for MNT Reform 2 using
this driver approach, when the before mentioned driver becomes mainline.

This goes hand in hand with the audio line-of-work that I'm currently pursuing. If everything works out as I hope for, the new Linux-based audio driver can become our new default soon. If this clears the path towards i.MX8 sound, all the better! Personally, I'd be pretty excited about audio on the MNT Reform as I'm using this machine for Atari hobby activities that are most fun when loud.

Cheers
Norman

--
Dr.-Ing. Norman Feske