*From:* [EMAIL PROTECTED] on behalf of Curt Hagenlocher
*Sent:* Mon 7/21/2008 9:51 AM
*To:* Discussion of IronPython
*Subject:* Re: [IronPython] IronPython Post 2.0 Roadmap

"Availability of a static type" not because IronPython would need to access one but because it would need to expose one.

On Mon, Jul 21, 2008 at 9:44 AM, Keith J. Farmer <[EMAIL PROTECTED] <mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]>> wrote:

    You can create your own attribute classes, for whatever markup.
     Particularly since LINQ-to-*, where they often are used to
    annotate data classes with strings, etc (not references to types).

    In any event, why does "availability of a static type" enter into
    this?  IP can access static types just as well as any other .NET
    language (System.Math comes to mind).  The motivation in general
    is to make IP a better producer for CLR types, rather than just a
    consumer, and attributes are an increasingly important thing to
    support.

    As for expression trees and extension methods, those are to make
    IP a better consumer of a very important API (LINQ and the
    IQueryable stack from .NET 3.5).

    To be honest, once those 3 features are available in IP, I think
    it would be on par with the mainstream languages in being very
    usable in an exclusive sense.