From: users-boun...@lists.ironpython.com
[mailto:users-boun...@lists.ironpython.com] On Behalf Of Lukas Cenovsky
Sent: Thursday, July 23, 2009 3:35 PM
To: Discussion of IronPython
Subject: Re: [IronPython] [ANN]: IronPython 2.6 Beta 2

Hi,
I don't see any iformation about .NET attributes in the release notes. Has been
decided the way how will their usage look like in IronPython 2.6?

Anyway, thanks for the new beta!

--
-- Lukas

Dave Fugate wrote:
We're pleased to announce the release of IronPython 2.6 Beta 2 which can be
freely downloaded at
http://ironpython.codeplex.com/Release/ProjectReleases.aspx?ReleaseId=27350.

At this point we are essentially feature complete from a CPython 2.6
perspective, and look forward to making available IronPython 2.6 Release
Candidate 1 within the next couple of months.  As such, we'd very much like
everyone to try out this release and report back any major problems you may
encounter so we can fix them in time for the first release candidate.  Any bugs
that you find can be reported via
http://ironpython.codeplex.com/WorkItem/Create.aspx.

The primary focus of Beta 2 was bug fixing:  a whopping 215 bugs were fixed in
this release.  The majority of these were fixes to standard CPython built-in
modules with IronPython runtime fixes coming in at a close second.  Some of the
higher profile work items include:

The implementation of the sys module was improved so that you can now utilize
CPython's pdb module in basic scenarios to debug IronPython sessions provided
you pass the -X:Frames or -X:FullFrames options to ipy.exe

374 Implement _ctypes module

20051 Re-raising exception causes loss of traceback

18770 Support type inference on generic methods and improve function
conversions - better LINQ support

15399 'frame' object has no attribute 'f_back'

17465 Implement rest of binascii module (__package__)

A bug was fixed in our build scripts that was leaving several working CPython
standard modules out of our MSI installations.  These included a few modules
under the distutils package, two modules under encodings, code, codeop, and the
io modules

A very visible new feature added to this release is that ipy.exe is now
strictly a 32-bit only assembly.  That is, it gets executed as a 32-bit CLR
process on both x86 and x64 operating systems.  ipy64.exe, despite what its
name might imply, is a platform agnostic assembly matching the old behavior of
ipy.exe in the sense that it gets executed as a 32-bit process on 32-bit OSes
and 64-bit on 64-bit OSes.  Why this change you ask?  Quite simply put
IronPython users with 64-bit OSes will see around a 33% improvement to
IronPython startup time under ipy.exe!

Silverlight users:  a new version of Silverlight, namely Silverlight 3.0, is
required to build the "Silverlight Release" or "Silverlight Debug"
configurations of IronPython.sln.  Please update your Silverlight installation
accordingly by visiting
http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight<http://www.microsoft.com/silverlight/> if
you intend to build IronPython from sources.

Thanks to everyone in the IronPython Community who reported bugs and provided
valuable feedback.  We really do appreciate your input which helps to make each
release of IronPython better than the last.

The IronPython Team