I'm trying to use white (http://www.codeplex.com/white) to build some
process automation scripts.  I've hit a wall where my C# knowledge is
insufficient/non-existent.

White supports all rich client applications, which are Win32, WinForm, WPF
and SWT (java).
It is .NET based and hence you wouldn't have use proprietary scripting
language. You can use your favourite .NET language, IDE and tools for
developing tests/automation programs.
White provides consistent object oriented API for all kinds of applications.
Also it hides all the complexity of Microsoft's UIAutomation library and
windows messages (on which it is based).
*(While WHITE is completely ready to be used, the documentation is still
work under progress. Please do point out the areas which needs
documentation.)*

My Problem is that a win32 based application (VB6!) has some custom
controls.  Specifically ListView20WndClass that was a common control from a
microsoft provided OCX.  The White team says that my solution is to
implement a CustomUI control  (see
http://white.codeplex.com/wikipage?title=Custom%20UI%20Item&referringTitle=Homefor
an example).  Is it possible to do something like this at runtime in
IronPython2.6 or do I need to go down the C# road?

Any help/pointers would be appreciated.

BB