Thanks for the super fast responses guys, amazing.

Jeff, thanks, i had tried the popen, but was never able to get the syntax to
make it work properly.  just too much of a n00b.  thanks though.

Bruce, the .NET calls worked perfectly.  my next step was going to be to try
to build a dll to make it work, but this is so much easier.

Thanks for the super help guys.  Dragged me out of the fire.
-b