From: users-boun...@lists.ironpython.com
[mailto:users-boun...@lists.ironpython.com] On Behalf Of Markus Schaber
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 12:24 AM
To: Discussion of IronPython
Subject: Re: [IronPython] IronPython 2.7.1 & 3.x Development

Hi,

Von Tomas Matousek

>>> As I wrote, we host IronPython inside our application, so shebang
and
>>> file name suffixes are irrelevant - but we could use the shebang as
>>> marker for python 3 (given that we can host both versions
>>> side-by-side) and parse the source manually to find out which
version
>>> to use - at least for a specific grace period.
>>
>> I think we can support this - it would be no different than using
>> IronPython and IronRuby side by side, if we do it right. We'd
probably
>> have to rename IronPython.dll to IronPython3.dll as well, but that's
not a
>> big deal.
> The assemblies are strongly named so I don't think that the name
change
> would be necessary.

Maybe we will need some tricks to solve the reference problems - I don't know
whether you can reference two identically named assemblies containing
identically named classes from the same C# dll, even if they are signed
differently. But I think some kind of glue layer dlls could easily solve that.

Thanks,
Markus