On Thu, Mar 31, 2011 at 12:53 PM, Dino Viehland <di...@microsoft.com> wrote:

> Jimmy wrote:
> > If you're interested in building your own debugger, take a look at
> > http://devhawk.net/2009/07/08/MicrosoftScriptingDebugging.aspx.
> > Microsoft.Scripting.Debugging.dll gives you APIs for non-blocking
> debugging
> > by rewriting the expression tree. This doesn't require the interpreter.
>
> It's non-blocking in the same way that sys.settrace is non-blocking though,
> you
> still need to pump messages while you're in sys.settrace if you want it to
> feel like a non-blocking GUI API.  And that could eventually stack overflow
> if you
> have lots of App -> Script -> App -> Script -> App -> Script transitions.
>  But
> it is the right place to start looking.

Right, thanks for the clarification.

By the way, I've solved the app-hanging issue by running all IronPython code
on a non-UI thread, and having any user IronPython code manipulate
"dispatching" data structures (DispatchingObservableCollection,
DispatchingPropertyChangedObject, etc ... basically implementations which
dispatch to the UI thread if being used from a non-UI thread). Those
structures are data bound to the UI. Not very general-purpose, or very
performant, but it solved my problem.