On 07.10.2009 17:10 Uhr, Iñaki Baz Castillo wrote:
2009/10/7 Juha Heinanen <j...@tutpro.com>:
Iñaki Baz Castillo writes:

 > SIP & XMPP integration is a hack!!

user simply chooses, based on ua capability, which protocol to use.  why
can't the same authentication data be used for both?

Of course both protocols can share the authentication backend
(DB/LDAP/Radius...) but the fact is that authentication is done by two
servers instead of just one, so issues as nonce reusage and such
possible vulnerabilities appear twice in different ways.

 > Yes, it's true that until now the only feasible IM and presence
 > solution is XMPP, but we are in SIP side! and we must extend the usage
 > of SIP for IM and presence (even if implementations are not mature
 > yet...).

this sounds religious and not very practical.

Of course, it was a pseudo-joke :)

However I think that we cannot rely forever on XMPP to fill the
IM&presence requeriments in our VoIP/SIP networks. At some point we
have to bet on SIP for IM and presence. Of course, this step requires
having a *good* set of specificacions and good server implementations,
let's work on it!

Not being a fan of "one size fits all" and happy to blend protocols to get best servicing, still using a mixed environment results sometime in divergent servicing and user experience. SIP has the advantage of offering advanced routing mechanisms at application level (headers), while XMPP is using DNS and TCP. I think is not possible to have same flexibility for im&p with xmpp like for calls with sip.

Cheers,
Daniel

--
Daniel-Constantin Mierla
* Kamailio SIP Masterclass, Nov 9-13, 2009, Berlin