Massimiliano,

It should work automatically, but I have seen instances where switches
or Ethernet cards can't support the full 9000 bytes per frame, and we've
had to go as low as 6000 bytes to get consistent performance.  It seems
like everyone's interpretation of what the 9000 bytes is for is a little
different.

Does it work with the defaults 1500byte setting?  You might try
increasing in smaller steps to see where it stops working.

Good luck.
--andrew