On Dec 20, 2006, at 7:04 PM, Jeff Squyres wrote:

I've been asked by the owner of the cluster "How can you prove to me
that this openmpi job is using the Infiniband network?"

At first I thought a simple netstat -an on the compute nodes might tell me, however I don't see the Infiniband IP's in the list so I'm thinking
maybe I need to be looking elsewhere.

That's correct.

I completely forgot to explain this comment, sorry.

Open MPI does not use TCP over IB -- it uses the native "verbs" interface (i.e., a lower lever than TCP over IB), and therefore a) doesn't show up in tcpdump/netstat/etc., and b) gets much better performance (TCP demands much processing on the host CPU, whereas verbs can be offloaded to the processor on the HCA).

Server Virtualization Business Unit
Cisco Systems