From: users-boun...@open-mpi.org [mailto:users-boun...@open-mpi.org] On Behalf
Of Ralph Castain
Sent: Tuesday, February 06, 2007 6:48 PM
To: Open MPI Users
Subject: Re: [OMPI users] large jobs hang on startup (deadlock?)

Hi Todd

Just as a thought - you could try not using --debug-daemons or -d and
instead setting "-mca pls_rsh_num_concurrent 50" or some such small number.
This will tell the system to launch 50 ssh calls at a time, waiting for each
group to complete before launching the next. You can't use it with
--debug-daemons as that option prevents the ssh calls from "closing" so that
you can get the output from the daemons. You can still launch as big a job
as you like - we'll just do it 50 ssh calls at a time.

If we are truly overwhelming the slapd, then this should alleviate the
problem.

Let me know if you get to try it...
Ralph

On 2/6/07 4:05 PM, "Heywood, Todd" <heyw...@cshl.edu> wrote:

> Hi Ralph,

It looks that way. I created a user local to each node, with local
> authentication via /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, and OpenMPI scales up just
> fine for that.

I know this is an OpenMPI list, but does anyone know how
> common or uncommon LDAP-based clusters are? I would have thought this issue
> would have arisen elsewhere, but Googling MPI+LDAP (and similar) doesn't turn
> up much.

I'd certainly be willing to test any patch.
> Thanks.

Todd