Hello openMPI users,
ANL suggested I post to you. BTW, the missing mpi_finalize is not the problem.
--jeff

--- Begin Message ---

On Wed, 20 Jun 2007, Jeffrey Tilson wrote:

> Hello All,
> This will probably turn out to be my fault as I haven't used MPI in a
> few years.
>
> I am attempting to use an MPI implementation of a "nxtval" (see the MPI
> book). I am using the client-server scenario. The MPI book specifies the
> three functions required. Two are collective and one is not. Only the
> two collectives are tested in the supplied code. All three of the MPI
> functions are reproduced in the attached code, however.  I wrote a tiny
> application to create and free a counter object and it fails.
>
> I need to know if this is a bug in the MPI book and a misunderstanding
> on my part.
>
> The complete code is attached. I was using openMPI/intel to compile and
> run.

If you are using OpenMPI (which is a different MPI implementation) to
compile your code, you may want to contact OpenMPI folks at
us...@open-mpi.org or www.open-mpi.org for support.  Our current MPI
release is mpich2-1.0.5p4 at http://www.mcs.anl.gov/mpi/mpich

However, a quick look at your program, I notice your code does not have
MPI_Finalize.  Without it, your program isn't a valid MPI program.

A.Chan

> The error I get is:
>
> > [compute-0-1.local:22637] *** An error occurred in MPI_Comm_rank
> > [compute-0-1.local:22637] *** on communicator MPI_COMM_WORLD
> > [compute-0-1.local:22637] *** MPI_ERR_COMM: invalid communicator
> > [compute-0-1.local:22637] *** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (goodbye)
> > mpirun noticed that job rank 0 with PID 22635 on node
> > "compute-0-1.local" exited on signal 15.
>
> I've attempted to google my way to understanding but with little
> success. If someone could point me to
> a sample application that actually uses these functions, I would
> appreciate it.
>
> Sorry if this is the wrong list, it is not an MPICH question and I
> wasn't sure where to turn.
>
> Thanks,
> --jeff

--- End Message ---