Dear Michael

I have now tried both

mpirun --mca btl mx,sm -np 4 ./cpi

which gives the same error message again, and,

mpirun --mca btl mx,sm,self -np 4 ./cpi_gcc_ompi_mx

actually locks some of the mx ports but not all 4, ie this is the output
from endpoint info:

1 Myrinet board installed.
The MX driver is configured to support up to 4 endpoints on 4 boards.
Board #0:
Endpoint         PID             Command                 Info
<raw>           5061            mx_mapper
0               20315           cpi
There are currently 1 regular endpoint open

This is the output from the node:
>mpirun --mca btl mx,sm,self -np 4 ./cpi_gcc_ompi_mx
[node001:20312] mca_btl_mx_init: mx_open_endpoint() failed with
status=20
[node001:20314] mca_btl_mx_init: mx_open_endpoint() failed with
status=20
[node001:20313] mca_btl_mx_init: mx_open_endpoint() failed with
status=20

Thanks

Henk