Excellent!  Sorry it took so long to resolve this.

We could put in a few fixes to protect against this specific error (where we call `which $CC|$CXX`), but I'm not sure if there are other places in the configure process that rely on `foo` to output only 1 line of data. So I'm not sure that it would be worth it.

Specifically, I think that classifying this problem as a "user configuration error" is acceptable. I'll add this particular issue to the FAQ, though, because it was sufficiently weird/non-obvious what the real problem was so that it will be google-able.

FWIW, shouldn't DISPLAY stuff be set in .login (vs. .tcshrc)?