So, it appears that for a machine of this type (dual quad core cpu's), this approach would be correct for my tests...

[jpummill@n1 bin]$ more my-hosts
n1 slots=8 max_slots=8

and subsequently, launch two jobs in this configuration...
/home/jpummill/openmpi-1.2.2/bin/mpirun --hostfile my-hosts -np 4 --byslot ./cg.C.4

It appears that this does avoid oversubscribing any particular core as I am not exceeding my core count by running just the two jobs requiring 4 cores each.

Thanks,

Jeff Pummill

George Bosilca wrote:
The cleaner way to define such an environment is by using the max-slots and/or slots options in the hostfile. Here is a FAQ entry about how Open MPI deal with these options (http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=running#mpirun-scheduling).

  george.