Really modules is the only way to go, we use it to maintain no less than 12 versions of openmpi compiled with pgi, gcc, nag, and intel.

Yes as the other reply said just set LD_LIBRARY_PATH  you can use

ldd executable

to see which libraries the executable is going to use under the current environment. We also have uses submit to torque with
#PBS -V

which copies the current environment with the job, this allows users to submit and have multiple jobs running each with their own environment. If your using PBS or torque look at the qsub man page.

Another addition we came up with was after we load a default set a modules (pbs, a compiler , mpi library) we look for a file in

$HOME/privatemodules/default

which just has a list of module commands. This allows users to change their default modules for every login.
For example i have in my default file

module load git

Because i use git for managing files.

We have done other hacks, our webpage of software is built out of cron from the module files:
http://cac.engin.umich.edu/resources/systems/nyxV2/software.html

So we dont maintain software lists online, we just generate it dynamically.
Modules is the admins best friend.

Brock Palen
Center for Advanced Computing
bro...@umich.edu