What would be a place to look?  Should this just be default then for
OMPI?  ompi_info shows the default as 10 seconds?  Is that right
'seconds' ?

The other IB guys can probably answer better than I can -- I'm not an
expert in this part of IB (or really any part I guess :). Not sure why
a larger value isn't the default.  No, its not seconds -- check the
description of the MCA parameter:

4.096 microseconds * (2^btl_openib_ib_timeout)

You sure?
ompi_info --param btl openib

MCA btl: parameter "btl_openib_ib_timeout" (current value: "10")
InfiniBand transmit timeout, in seconds (must be >= 1)

Andrew