Terry,
    Your suggestion worked. So long as I specifically state "--without-tm",
the OpenMPI 1.2.4 build allows the use of "-hostfile". Apparently, by
default, OpenMPI 1.2.4 will incorporate Torque if it exists, so it is
necessary to specifically request "no Torque support".  I used the normal
Torque processes to submit the job and specified "-hostfile $PBS_NODEFILE".
Everything worked.
           Thanks for your help,
            Pat

J.W. (Pat) O'Bryant,Jr.
Business Line Infrastructure
Technical Systems, HPC
Office: 713-431-7022

             Terry
             Frankcombe
             <te...@chem.gu                                             To
             .se>                     Open MPI Users <us...@open-mpi.org>
             users-bounces@
             open-mpi.org                                          Subject
                                      Re: [OMPI users] Torque and OpenMPI
                                      1.2
             12/18/07 01:45
             PM

             Please respond
             Open MPI Users
             <users@open-mp
                 i.org>

On Tue, 2007-12-18 at 11:59 -0700, Ralph H Castain wrote:
> Hate to be a party-pooper, but the answer is "no" in OpenMPI 1.2. We
don't
> allow the use of a hostfile in a Torque environment in that version.
>
> We have changed this for v1.3, but you'll have to wait for that release.

Can one not build OpenMPI without tm support and spawn remote jobs using
the other mechanisms, using only $PBS_NODEFILE (or a derivative of the
file that that points to) in the script?

Ciao
Terry

--
Dr Terry Frankcombe
Physical Chemistry, Department of Chemistry