On Dec 19, 2007, at 11:33 AM, Amit Kumar Saha wrote:

This probably is the same as saying that : In Distributed computing,
the member nodes are *not* dedicated machines solely for executing the
specific HPC task, where as in a Cluster we have a dedicated set of
nodes, specifically working on a particular task.

Those are common models, yes. But probably not the only ones (notice how I used "usually" liberally in my definitions :-) ).

Given the differences between Aurelien's answers and mine, I think the community really only has general ideas about what exactly those terms mean.

Cisco Systems