Another simpler (but not secure) option would be do run "xhost +hostname" for each machine that you'll be using and then use un- encrypted X connections to pipe back to your display. This avoids a bunch of issues (e.g., the ssh to launch the MPI job quitting because it successfully launched on the remote node) and is generally simpler.

On a closed LAN/cluster, it may be ok to do this... but your security administrators may disagree with me. :-) I suggest that you check with your admins.

Specifically, try something like this:

    shell$ for host in `cat machines`; do xhost +$host: $host; done

This tells the X server to accept connections from all the hosts in your machines file. Then you can mpirun with something like this:

    shell$ mpirun --prefix /usr/local -hostfile machines \
        -x DISPLAY=yourhost:0.0 -np 2 xterm -e gdb peruse_ex1

mpirun's -x option exports the environment variable listed, and the "=foo" argument tells it to assign that value on the remote nodes. Hence, the DISPLAY environment variable will be loaded with the value "yourhost:0.0" on the remote nodes. Obviously, you need to replace "yourhost:0.0" with the hostname and display number of the host that you're launching from.

Hope that helps.