Mark,
I think the problem is likely due to the networking differences
between the nodes.  Check out these two FAQ entries:
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=tcp#tcp-multi-network
http://www.open-mpi.org/faq/?category=tcp#tcp-selection

Specifically, I think you should try using a pair of these four MCA
parameters:
  btl_tcp_if_include  and  oob_tcp_include
or
  btl_tcp_if_exclude  and  oob_tcp_exclude

Basically, you need to make sure the Open MPI doesn't try to use
the public network, since one of the nodes isn't on the public network.