All,
I really didn't want to start a new thread discussing the virtues and vices of every compiler, since this is hardly my forte and the opportunity to offend someone is fairly high, whilst making myself look clownish.... What I should have said was that "for my organization one cannot justify the cost of buying, for example Intel's compiler." Aside from some political/economic/legal reasons for this being true, we have a lot of very specific code that has been optimized over the years by hand. While there are clearly speed advantages for Intel's compilers for many many problems, in our view, for our problems and our "in house" software, the speedup has not been sufficient to warrant the cost of a compiler for several hundred to several thousand computers (yes there are that many developers). Besides, timing claims and speedups are also dependent upon the version of gcc/gfortran one uses, and what memory allocation routine, etc, etc.... There have been significant improvements in gcc from 4.1 through 4.3 that have been well documented. And there have also been accusations that intel "chooses" problems to accentuate their claims of supremacy. But doesn't every vendor do this? I admit that given an infinite amount of money I would go with the Intel compiler for all of our development work. Since we are more of a "proof or concept" organization and ship out production runs to real centers (with intel compilers), even a factor of 2 (which is our typical experience) is not significant enough. If it were to become, as you state roughly 8 times faster, it might be a different story. As it is, only legacy code is using fortran and if one moves to C/C++ the differences we've seen have been miniscule.

Bottom line, it works for my configuration right now and both me and the other users are happy.

Thanks all, for help, advice, and a provocative discussion.

Regards,
Greg