OpenMPI does not do this. MPI codes are regular C and Fortran programs, so if they ALLOCATE or malloc() memory, and linux/mac can give it it will.

I think what you need is a batch system (Torque Plug goes here). We use a batch system that will then place processes on nodes based on memory and cpu availability.
In torque I do this with:

#PBS -l nodes=2:ppn=2,pmem=1gb

Thats 4 cpus across 2 nodes (ppn=processors per node) with 1gb of memory per processor. PBS will not start my job until it can find 2 nodes with 2 cpus, where each cpu has 1 gb of memory free.

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Center for Advanced Computing
bro...@umich.edu