This post was accidentally sent to the list owner rather than to the entire list. Re-sending to the list...

On May 1, 2008, at 11:28 AM, cfdm...@aim.com wrote:

I am encountering a difficulty when installing OpenMPI with the Lahey 64-bit (LF64 V8.0) Fortran Compiler for use on a dual quad- core machine. I am currently trying to install this particular Lahey compiler with openmpi-1.2.6 on a 64-bit intel machine running Red Hat Linux Enterprise 5. In the past, I have not had any difficulty installing 32-bit versions of the Lahey compiler with the current or previous versions of OpenMPI, so this issue appears to be specific to the 64-bit version of the Lahey compiler. I have attached the install script that I used to install OpenMPI. I have also attached the output stream that results when I execute this install script.

The error message that it is showing is:

/usr/bin/ld: .libs/mpi_wtick_f90.o: relocation R_X86_64_32S against `a local symbol' can not be used when making a shared object; recompile with -fPIC

We don't test with the Laheay compiler, so I'm not familiar with the exact problem here -- perhaps try adding -fPIC to the FCFLAGS when running configure?

./configure FCFLAGS=-fPIC ...

Cisco Systems