On May 7, 2008, at 1:32 PM, Barry Rountree wrote:

On Wed, May 07, 2008 at 12:33:59PM -0400, Alberto Giannetti wrote:
I need to log application-level messages on disk to trace my program
activity. For better performances, one solution is to dedicate one
processor to the actual I/O logging, while the other working
processors would trace their activity through non-blocking, string
message sends:

A few comments:

If you're using a cluster where each node has dedicated disk space, it
would probably be better to open a local file and log messages there.
After the application completes, then collate all the local files
together.

Even simpler is to open a file in the directory from which you started
the application.  Using 16 older opterons and writing 2 lines per MPI
call per node, the overhead for doing this was small enough to be lost
in the noise.

What I want to avoid is disk I/O operations in some of my real-time processors. fprintf, fputs or other write operations are the most time-consuming system calls and I'd rather dedicate a processor/CPU to that task.

Assuming my logger processor is allocated on a remote host (a worst- case scenario), are you saying that, for instance, a 256 bytes disk write is faster that a non-blocking send to the remote node?

  Call this after MPI_Init and after you've figured out
which node you are.

FILE *
initialize_logfile(int rank){

        char format[]="runtime.%02d.dat";
        char fname[64];
        sprintf(fname, format, rank);
        blr_logfile = fopen(fname, "w");
        assert(blr_logfile);
        return blr_logfile;
}

Then just fprintf(logfile, ...) as needed.

There are configurations where this won't work, of course, and it won't scale to thousands of nodes. But I've found it to be rock-solid for my
work.

/* LOGGER PROCESSOR MAIN LOOP */
void logger(void)
{
   MPI_Status status;
   char buf[LOGMSG_MAXSIZE];

   printf("Logger: Started\n");

   while( 1 ) {
     MPI_Recv(&buf, LOGMSG_MAXSIZE, MPI_CHAR, MPI_ANY_SOURCE,
LOGMSG_TAG, MPI_COMM_WORLD, &status);
     buf[status.count] = '\0';
     /* ACTUAL I/O */
     printf("Processor %d ==> %s\n", status.MPI_SOURCE, buf);
   }
}

/* WORKER PROCESSOR LOGGING */
void mylog(char* msg)
{
   MPI_Request req;
   int msglen = strlen(msg);

   if( msglen > LOGMSG_MAXSIZE ) {
     /* Truncate */
     msg[LOGMSG_MAXSIZE-1] = '\0';
     msglen = LOGMSG_MAXSIZE;
   }

   /* Non-blocking send */
   MPI_Isend(msg, msglen, MPI_CHAR, LOGGER, LOGMSG_TAG,
MPI_COMM_WORLD, &req);
}

I figured this must be a common problem in MPI applications and was
wondering if there is any library available or related discussions.