To tell you all what noone wanted to tell me, yes, it does seem to be
the memory manager.  Compiling everything with
--with-memory-manager=none returns the vmem use to the more reasonable
~100MB per process (down from >8GB).

I take it this may affect my peak bandwidth over infiniband.  What's the
general feeling about how bad this is?