On Jul 29, 2008, at 6:52 AM, Mark Dixon wrote:

FWIW: I compile with PGI 7.1.4 regularly on RHEL4U4 and don't see this problem. It would be interesting to see the config.log's from these builds to see the actual details of what went wrong.

Thanks Jeff: it's good to know it's just me ;)

:-)

Following your message, I've tried building with PGI on a few systems:

Compiler      OS                   Result
============  ===================  ============
32-bit 7.1.6  CentOS 5.2 (32-bit)  no threading
32-bit 7.1.4 CentOS 5.2 (32-bit) no threading **config.log attached**
32-bit 7.1.4  RHEL4u6 (64-bit)     works!
32-bit 7.1.4  CentOS 5.1 (64-bit)  no threading

Each time it fails, it's because of "__builtin_expect" being undefined for pgcc and pgf77 (works for pgcpp) - or any of the Sun Studio compilers. Could this be a glibc 2.3 (RHEL4) vs. 2.5 (CentOS5) issue?

I'm afraid this one is out of my bailiwick -- I don't know. Looking through your config.log file, it does look like this lack of __builtin_expect is the killer. FWIW, here's my configure output when I run with pgcc v7.1.4:

checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work as is... no
checking if C++ compiler and POSIX threads work as is... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -Kthread... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -kthread... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -pthread... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -pthreads... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -mt... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -mthreads... no
checking if C++ compiler and POSIX threads work with -Kthread... no
checking if C++ compiler and POSIX threads work with -kthread... no
checking if C++ compiler and POSIX threads work with -pthread... no
checking if C++ compiler and POSIX threads work with -pthreads... no
checking if C++ compiler and POSIX threads work with -mt... no
checking if C++ compiler and POSIX threads work with -mthreads... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -lpthreads... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -llthread... no
checking if C compiler and POSIX threads work with -lpthread... yes
checking if C++ compiler and POSIX threads work with -lpthread... yes

I suggest that you bring this issue up with PGI support; they're fairly responsive on their web forums.

Cisco Systems