Short answer is: yes.

Unfortunately, different systems store that info in different places. For Linux, we use the PLPA to help us discover the required info. Solaris, OSX, and Windows all have their own ways of providing it. The paffinity framework detects the type of system we are running on and "does the right thing" to get the info.

Where we simply cannot get it, we return an error and let you know that we cannot support processor affinity on this machine. You can still execute, of course - you just can't set mpi_paffinity_alone since we can't meet that request on such a system.

Ralph