I believe that this is something Brad at IBM worked on, wasn't it? I *think* you may just need the development trunk (i.e., upcoming v1.3), but I won't swear to that.

Regardless, you need to have OMPI compiled for heterogeneous support because control headers still need to be adjusted for endian-ness, etc. (even if you're only sending MPI_BYTE).