Hi Josh!

First of all, thanks a lot for replying. :-)

When executing this checkpoint command, the running application
directly aborts, even though I did not specify the "--term" option:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------- mpirun noticed that process rank 1 with PID 14050 on node grid-demo-1.cit.tu-berlin.de exited on signal 13 (Broken pipe). --------------------------------------------------------------------------
ccs@grid-demo-1:~$

Interesting. This looks like a bug with the restart mechanism in Open MPI. This was working fine, but something must have changed in the trunk to break it.

Do you perhaps know a SVN revision number of OMPI that
is known to be working? If this issue is a regression
failure, I would be glad to use the source from an old
but working SVN state...

A useful piece of debugging information for me would be a stack trace from the failed process. You should be able to get this from a core file it left or If you would set the following MCA variable in $HOME/.openmpi/mca-params.conf:
  opal_cr_debug_sigpipe=1
This will cause the Open MPI app to wait in a sleep loop when it detects a Broken Pipe signal. Then you should be able to attach a debugger and retrieve a stack trace.

I created this file:

ccs@grid-demo-1:~$ cat .openmpi/mca-params.conf
opal_cr_debug_sigpipe=1
ccs@grid-demo-1:~$

Then I restarted the application from a checkpointed state
and tried to checkpoint this restarted application. Unfortunately
the restated application still terminates, despite of this para-
meter. However, the output slightly changed :

worker fetch area available 1
[grid-demo-1.cit.tu-berlin.de:26220] opal_cr: sigpipe_debug: Debug SIGPIPE [13]: PID (26220)
mpirun noticed that process rank 0 with PID 26248 on node grid-demo-1.cit.tu-berlin.de exited on signal 0 (Unknown signal 0).
2 total processes killed (some possibly by mpirun during cleanup)
ccs@grid-demo-1:~$

There is now this additional "opal_cr: sigpipe_debug" line, so
he apparently evaluates the .openmpi/mca-params.conf

I also tried to get a corefile by setting "ulimit -c 50000", so
that ulimit -a gives me the following output:

ccs@grid-demo-1:~$ ulimit -a
core file size          (blocks, -c) 0
scheduling priority             (-e) 20
pending signals                 (-i) unlimited
max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) unlimited
open files                      (-n) 1024
pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 8
POSIX message queues     (bytes, -q) unlimited
real-time priority              (-r) 0
stack size              (kbytes, -s) 8192
max user processes              (-u) unlimited
ccs@grid-demo-1:~$

Unfortunately, no corefile is generated, so that I do not know
how to give you the requested stacktrace.

Are there perhaps other debug parameters I could use?

Best,
Matthias