Your doing this on just one node? That would be using the OpenMPI SM transport, Last I knew it wasn't that optimized though should still be much faster than TCP.

I am surpised at your result though I do not have MPICH2 on the cluster right now I don't have time to compare.

How did you run the job?

Brock Palen
www.umich.edu/~brockp
Center for Advanced Computing