Hi Jeff,

Jeff Squyres wrote:
On Nov 10, 2008, at 6:41 AM, Jed Brown wrote:
With #define's and compiler flags, I think that can be  easily done --
was wondering if this is something that developers using MPI do and
whether AC/AM  supports it.

AC will allow you to #define whatever you want -- look at the documentation for AC_DEFINE and AC_DEFINE_UNQUOTED. You can also tell your configure script to accept various --with-<foo> and --enable-<foo> arguments; see the docs for AC_ARG_WITH and AC_ARG_ENABLE.

Thanks for this! I know "it's in the document", but I've been going through it with much difficulty. Definitely complete, but hard to get into and know what it is I need. So, some keywords to search for will definitely help!

If --with-mpi is not specified, the following will happen:

1. You don't set CC (and friends), so AC_PROG_CC will find the default compilers. Hence, your app will not be compiled and linked against the MPI libraries. 2. #define BUILDING_WITH_MPI to 0, so the code above will compile out the call to MPI_Send().

Both of these are valid techniques -- use whichever suits your app the best.

I see; thank you for giving me this second option. I guess I'm more attracted to this since it allows me to continue working with Open MPI. As I am writing the system [now], I'll have to keep in mind to make it modular so that parts can be #define'd in and out easily.

Thank you for your careful explanation!
Ray