Reuti wrote:
Am 15.01.2009 um 16:20 schrieb Jeff Dusenberry:

I'm trying to launch multiple xterms under OpenMPI 1.2.8 and the SGE job scheduler for purposes of running a serial debugger. I'm experiencing file-locking problems on the .Xauthority file.

I tried to fix this by asking for a delay between successive launches, to reduce the chances of contention for the lock by:

~$ qrsh -pe mpi 4 -P CIS /share/apps/openmpi/bin/mpiexec --mca pls_rsh_debug 1 --mca pls_rsh_delay 5 xterm

The 'pls_rsh_delay 5' parameter seems to have no effect. I tried replacing 'pls_rsh_debug 1' with 'orte_debug 1', which gave me additional debugging output, but didn't fix the file locking problem.

Sometimes the above commands will work and I will get all 4 xterms, but more often I will get an error:

/usr/bin/X11/xauth: error in locking authority file /export/home/duse/.Xauthority

followed by

xterm Xt error: Can't open display: localhost:11.0

and one or more of the xterms will fail to open.

Am I missing something? Is there another debug flag I need to set? Any suggestions for a better way to do this would be appreciated.

You are right that it's neither Open MPI's, nor SGE's fault, but a race condition in the SSH startup. You defined SSH with X11 forwarding in SGE (qconf -mconf) - right? Then you have first a ssh connection from your workstation to the login-machine. Then from the login-machine to the node where the mpiexec runs. And then one for each slave node (means an additonal one on the machine where mpiexec is already executed).

Yes, that's all correct. Clearly not very efficient, but I haven't had any luck getting xauth or xhost to work more directly.

Although it might be possible to give every started sshd an unique .Xauthority file, it's not straight forward to implement due to SGE's startup of the daemons and you would need a sophisticated ~/.ssh/rc to create the files at different location and use it in the forthcoming xterm.

Thanks, that helped a lot, but I still can't quite get it to work. I do want the xterms to run mpi jobs. I tried this sshrc script (modified from the sshd man page):

XAUTHORITY=/local/$USER/.Xauthority${SSH_TTY##*/}
export XAUTHORITY
if read proto cookie && [ -n "$DISPLAY" ]; then
        if [ `echo $DISPLAY | cut -c1-10` = 'localhost:' ]; then
                # X11UseLocalhost=yes
                echo add unix:`echo $DISPLAY | cut -c11-` $proto $cookie
        else
                # X11UseLocalhost=no
                echo add $DISPLAY $proto $cookie
        fi | xauth -q -
fi

and I am successful in creating a unique .Xauthority for each process locally on each node when I log in via ssh directly. Unfortunately, I do have to provide another definition of XAUTHORITY somewhere in my startup scripts - the one above does not get seen outside of the sshrc execution.

When I try to run this under qrsh/mpiexec, it acts as if it doesn't have the SSH_TTY environment variable (is that due to SGE?), and we're back to a race condition. Is there another variable I can use in the sge/mpi context? I also don't understand where I would define the XAUTHORITY variable when running under mpiexec.

I'm not sure this is the best way to approach this - I was originally hoping that the mpiexec call would have a way to introduce a delay between successive launches but that doesn't seem to be working either.

Jeff