On Feb 3, 2009, at 10:16 AM, jody wrote:

Hi Ralph
Thanks for the fixes and the "!".

--xterm:
The "!" works, but i still don't have any xterms from my remote nodes
even with all my xhost+ and -x DISPLAY tricks explained below :(

--output-filename
It creates files, but only for the local processes:
[jody@localhost neander]$  mpirun -np 8 -hostfile testhosts
--output-filename gnana ./MPITest
  ... output ...
[jody@localhost neander]$ ls -l gna*
-rw-r--r-- 1 jody morpho 549 2009-02-03 18:02 gnana.0
-rw-r--r-- 1 jody morpho 549 2009-02-03 18:02 gnana.1
-rw-r--r-- 1 jody morpho 549 2009-02-03 18:02 gnana.2
( i set slots=3 on my workstation)

Did you give a location that is on an NFS mount?

I'm willing to bet the files are being created - they are on your remote nodes. The daemons create their own local files for output from their local procs. We decided to do this for scalability reasons - if we have mpirun open all the output files, then you could easily hit the file descriptor limit on that node and cause the job not to launch.

Check your remote nodes and see if the files are there.

---

Regarding xterms - i'm also no big expert on xterms, but i managed to
get things working for my environment...

Generally, in order to enable X-forwarding, i *would* set the option
  X11Fowarding yes
in the /etc/ssh/sshd_config on the server, and
  X11Fowarding yes
in the /etc/ssh/ssh_config on the client.

I say 'would', because to actually use x forwarding you need to call
ssh with the '-X' option.
Correct me if i'm wrong, but i suspect the -X option is not used when
Open-MPI makes a connection.

I can fix that easily enough - we'll just test to see if the xterm option has been set, and add the -X to ssh if so.

Note that you can probably set this yourself right now by -mca plm_rsh_agent "ssh -X"

So what i currently do to have my xterms running:
on my workstation i call
  xhost + <hostname> for all
machines in my hostfile, to allow them to use X on my workstation.
Then i set my DISPLAY variable to point to my workstation
 export DISPLAY=<mymachine>:0.0
Finally, i call mpirun with the -x option (to exports the DISPLAY
variable to all nodes) :
mpirun -np 4 -hostfile myfiles -x DISPLAY run_xterm.sh MyApplication arg1 arg2

Here run_xterm.sh is a shell script which creates a useful title for
the xterm window
and calls the application with all its arguments (-hold leaves the
xterm open after the program terminates):
#!/bin/sh -f

# feedback for command line
echo "Running on node `hostname`"

# for version 1.2 use undocumented env variable
# for version 1.3 use documented env variable
export ID=$OMPI_COMM_WORLD_RANK
if [ X$ID = X ]; then
 export ID=$OMPI_MCA_ns_nds_vpid
fi

export TITLE="node #$ID"
# start terminal
xterm -T "$TITLE" -hold  -e  $*

exit 0

(i have similar scripts to run gdb or valgrind in xterm windows)
I know that the 'xhost +' is a horror for certain sysadmins,
but i feel quite safe, because the machines listed in my hostfile
are not accessible from outside our department.

I haven't found any other alternative to have nice xterms when i can't
use 'ssh -X'.

To come back to the '--xterm' option: i just ran my xterm-script after
doing the above xhost+ and DISPLAY things, and it worked - all local and remote processes created their xterm windows. (In other words, the environment was
set to have my remote nodes use xterms on my workstation.)

Immediately thereafter i called the same application with
mpirun -np 8 -hostfile testhosts --xterm 2,3,4,5! -x DISPLAY ./ MPITest
but still, only the local process (#2) created an xterm.

Do you think it would be possible to have open MPI make its
ssh-connections with '-X',
or are there technical or security-related objections?

Regards

 Jody