Thankyou for your help.
I tried the command
mpirun -np 4 -host node1,node2 -mca btl tcp,self random
but still got the same result.

I'm pretty sure that the communication between the nodes is TCP but I'm not
sure, I've emailedIT support to ask them, but am yet to hear back from them.
Other than that I'm running the latest release of OMPI (1.3) and I installed it
on both nodes. And yes they are in the same absolute paths.
My configuration was very standard:

shell$ gunzip -c openmpi-1.3.tar.gz | tar xf -
shell$ cd openmpi-1.3
shell$  ./configure CC=icc CXX=icpc F77=ifort FC=ifort
--prefix=/home/bburgess/bin/bin
shell$ make all install

Again thankyou for your help, I'll have to investigate whether my assumption
about my connections being TCP are correct. When I was setting it up at first,
and before I'd configured the nodes to log into each other without a password,
I did get the message

user@ node.newcastle.edu.au's password:

In my log files, so it did at least seem to be reaching the other node. Does
that mean that my connections are working, or could it be more to it than that?

Robertson Burgess

Message: 2