Hi Rob

Guess I'll display my own ignorance here:

 MPI_File_open( MPI_COMM_WORLD, "foo.txt",
               MPI_MODE_CREATE | MPI_MODE_WRONLY,
               MPI_INFO_NULL, &fh );

Since the file was opened with MPI_MODE_CREATE, shouldn't it have been truncated so the prior contents were removed? I think that's the root of the confusion here. It appears that MPI_MODE_CREATE doesn't cause the opened file to be truncated, but instead just leaves it "as-is".

Is that correct?

Thanks
Ralph