Hello List,

I have just tried the current SVN Debian package:
it does not work even without firewall

Please find in attachement my test files and the associated outputs.

hth,
Jerome

Manuel Prinz wrote:
Am Freitag, den 27.03.2009, 20:34 +0800 schrieb Jerome BENOIT:
I have just tried the Sid package (1.3-2), but it does not work properly
(when the firewall are off)

Though this should work, the version in Sid is broken in other respects.
I do not recommend using it.

I have just read that the current stable version for OpenMPI is now 1.3.1:
I will give it a try once it will be packaged in Sid.

I'm the Open MPI maintainer in Debian and am planning to upload a fixed
version soon, possible around middle of next week. (It has to be
coordinated with the release team.) There is a working version availble
in SVN (try "debcheckout openmpi"). You can either build it yourself or
I could build it for you. You can mail me in private if you'd like me to
do so. Please not that installing the new version will break other
MPI-related Debian packages. I can explain you the details in private
mail since I think this is off-topic for the list.

Best regards
Manuel

Jerome BENOIT
jgmbenoit_at_mailsnare_dot_net

// `phello.c' MPI C file
//
// last major modification 2003/01/05
// last minor modification 2009/03/27
//

// mpicc -o phello phello.c
// mpirun -np 5 phello

#include <unistd.h>
#include <stdio.h>
#include <mpi.h>

int main(int narg, char *args[]){
  int rank,size;
	char ProcessorName[MPI_MAX_PROCESSOR_NAME];
	int ProcessorNameLength;

  MPI_Init(&narg,&args);

  MPI_Comm_rank(MPI_COMM_WORLD,&rank);
  MPI_Comm_size(MPI_COMM_WORLD,&size);

	MPI_Get_processor_name(ProcessorName,&ProcessorNameLength);
	sleep(11);
	fprintf(stdout,
			"Hello world! I am %d of %d and my name is `%s'\n",
		rank,size,
		ProcessorName);

  MPI_Finalize();

  return 0; }

//
// End of file `phello.c'.

[green][[7042,1],6][../../../../../../ompi/mca/btl/tcp/btl_tcp_component.c:596:mca_btl_tcp_component_create_listen]
 bind() failed: Permission denied (13)
[green][[7042,1],5][../../../../../../ompi/mca/btl/tcp/btl_tcp_component.c:596:mca_btl_tcp_component_create_listen]
 bind() failed: Permission denied (13)
At least one pair of MPI processes are unable to reach each other for
MPI communications.  This means that no Open MPI device has indicated
that it can be used to communicate between these processes.  This is
an error; Open MPI requires that all MPI processes be able to reach
each other.  This error can sometimes be the result of forgetting to
specify the "self" BTL.

  Process 1 ([[7042,1],2]) is on host: violet
  Process 2 ([[7042,1],5]) is on host: green
  BTLs attempted: self sm tcp

Your MPI job is now going to abort; sorry.
It looks like MPI_INIT failed for some reason; your parallel process is
likely to abort.  There are many reasons that a parallel process can
fail during MPI_INIT; some of which are due to configuration or environment
problems.  This failure appears to be an internal failure; here's some
additional information (which may only be relevant to an Open MPI
developer):

  PML add procs failed
  --> Returned "Unreachable" (-12) instead of "Success" (0)
*** An error occurred in MPI_Init
*** before MPI was initialized
*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (your MPI job will now abort)
[violet:12941] Abort before MPI_INIT completed successfully; not able to
guarantee that all other processes were killed!
*** An error occurred in MPI_Init
*** before MPI was initialized
*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (your MPI job will now abort)
[green:13026] Abort before MPI_INIT completed successfully; not able to
guarantee that all other processes were killed!
mpirun has exited due to process rank 2 with PID 12941 on
node violet exiting without calling "finalize". This may
have caused other processes in the application to be
terminated by signals sent by mpirun (as reported here).
*** An error occurred in MPI_Init
*** before MPI was initialized
*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (your MPI job will now abort)
[blue:15300] Abort before MPI_INIT completed successfully; not able to
guarantee that all other processes were killed!
*** An error occurred in MPI_Init
*** before MPI was initialized
*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (your MPI job will now abort)
[indigo:12605] Abort before MPI_INIT completed successfully; not able to
guarantee that all other processes were killed!
*** An error occurred in MPI_Init
*** before MPI was initialized
*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (your MPI job will now abort)
[red:12874] Abort before MPI_INIT completed successfully; not able to guarantee
that all other processes were killed!
*** An error occurred in MPI_Init
*** An error occurred in MPI_Init
*** before MPI was initialized
*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (your MPI job will now abort)
[orange:14888] Abort before MPI_INIT completed successfully; not able to
guarantee that all other processes were killed!
*** before MPI was initialized
*** An error occurred in MPI_Init
*** An error occurred in MPI_Init
*** before MPI was initialized
*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (your MPI job will now abort)
*** before MPI was initialized
[yellow:11441] Abort before MPI_INIT completed successfully; not able to
guarantee that all other processes were killed!
*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (your MPI job will now abort)
*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (your MPI job will now abort)
[orange:14887] Abort before MPI_INIT completed successfully; not able to
guarantee that all other processes were killed!
[yellow:11440] Abort before MPI_INIT completed successfully; not able to
guarantee that all other processes were killed!
[violet:12932] 8 more processes have sent help message help-mca-bml-r2.txt /
unreachable proc
[violet:12932] Set MCA parameter "orte_base_help_aggregate" to 0 to see all
help / error messages
[violet:12932] 8 more processes have sent help message help-mpi-runtime /
mpi_init:startup:internal-failure

/local/benoit
/scratch/benoit
/local/benoit