Hi Ross:

On Tue, Apr 21, 2009 at 07:19:53PM -0700, Ross Boylan wrote:
> I'm using Rmpi (a pretty thin wrapper around MPI for R) on Debian Lenny
> (amd64).  My set up has a central calculator and a bunch of slaves to
> wich work is distributed.
>
> The slaves wait like this:
>         mpi.send(as.double(0), doubleType, root, requestCode, comm=comm)
>         request <- request+1
>         cases <- mpi.recv(cases, integerType, root, mpi.any.tag(),
> comm=comm)
>
> I.e., they do a simple send and then a receive.
>
> It's possible there's no one to talk to, so it could be stuck at
> mpi.send or mpi.recv.
>
> Are either of those operations that should chew up CPU?  At this point,
> I'm just trying to figure out where to look for the source of the
> problem.

Search the list archives
  http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/
for "100% CPU" and you will get lots to look at.

I had a similar problem with a FORTRAN program.  With the help of Jeff
Squyres and Eugene Loh I wrote a solution: user-written MPI_Recv.c and
MPI_Send.c which I load them with my application, and the MPI problem
"100% CPU usage while doing nothing" is cured.

The code for MPI_Recv.c and MPI_Send.c is here:
  http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2008/12/7563.php

Cheers,
Douglas.