Jon Mason wrote:
On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 01:20:48PM -0400, Ken Cain wrote:
Thanks Jon. I have some responses inline.

Jon Mason wrote:
On Wed, May 06, 2009 at 12:15:19PM -0400, Ken Cain wrote:
I am trying to run NetPIPE-3.7.1 NPmpi using Open MPI version 1.3.2 with the openib btl in an OFED-1.4 environment. The system environment is two Linux (2.6.27) ppc64 blades, each with one Chelsio RNIC device, interconnected by a 10GbE switch. The problem is that I cannot (using Open MPI) establish connections between the two MPI ranks.

I have already read the OMPI FAQ entries and searched for similar problems reported to this email list without success. I do have a compressed config.log that I can provide separately (it is 80KB in size so I'll spare everyone here). I also have the output of ompi_info --all that I can share.

I can successfully run small diagnostic programs such as rping, ib_rdma_bw, ib_rdma_lat, etc. between the same two blades. I can also run NPmpi using another MPI library (MVAPICH2) and the Chelsio/iWARP interface.

Here is the one example mpirun command line I used:
mpirun --mca orte_base_help_aggregate 0 --mca btl openib,self --hostfile ~/1usrv_ompi_machfile -np 2 ./NPmpi -p0 -l 1 -u 1024 > outfile1 2>&1

and its output:
No OpenFabrics connection schemes reported that they were able to be
used on a specific port.  As such, the openib BTL (OpenFabrics
support) will be disabled for this port.

  Local host:           aae1
  Local device:         cxgb3_0
  CPCs attempted:       oob, xoob, rdmacm
[snip]

  Process 1 ([[3115,1],0]) is on host: aae4
  Process 2 ([[3115,1],1]) is on host: aae1
  BTLs attempted: self

Your MPI job is now going to abort; sorry.
[snip]
  PML add procs failed
  --> Returned "Unreachable" (-12) instead of "Success" (0)
*** An error occurred in MPI_Init
[snip]
*** An error occurred in MPI_Init
*** before MPI was initialized
*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (your MPI job will now abort)
*** before MPI was initialized
[aae1:6598] Abort before MPI_INIT completed successfully; not able to guarantee
that all other processes were killed!
*** MPI_ERRORS_ARE_FATAL (your MPI job will now abort)
[aae4:19434] Abort before MPI_INIT completed successfully; not able to
guarantee that all other processes were killed!
mpirun has exited due to process rank 0 with PID 19434 on
node aae4 exiting without calling "finalize". This may
have caused other processes in the application to be
terminated by signals sent by mpirun (as reported here).

Here is the another mpirun command I used (adding verbosity and more specific btl parameters):

mpirun --mca orte_base_help_aggregate 0 --mca btl openib,self,sm --mca btl_base_verbose 10 --mca btl_openib_verbose 10 --mca btl_openib_if_include cxgb3_0:1 --mca btl_openib_cpc_include rdmacm --mca btl_openib_device_type iwarp --mca btl_openib_max_btls 1 --mca mpi_leave_pinned 1 --hostfile ~/1usrv_ompi_machfile -np 2 ./NPmpi -p0 -l 1 -u 1024 > ~/outfile2 2>&1
It looks like you are only using 1 port on the Chelsio RNIC.  Based on
the messages above, It looks like it might be the wrong port.  Is there
a reason why you are excluding it?  Also, you might try the TCP btl and
verify that it works correctly in the testcase (as a point of
reference).

Thanks,
Jon

Yes we only have one port connected. The cxgb3 device is associated with eth2 and eth3. Only eth2 is configured with a static IP address. To be sure I didn't choose the wrong OFED device I tried the same command line, changing btl_openib_if_include to cxgb3_0:2 (instead of my original choice cxgb3_0:1). I got the same result in this experiment. The same result occurs when I ask only for cxgb3_0 (no particular port).

To test with the TCP btl I changed both of my mpirun commands so that I added tcp to the --mca btl list (keeping openib and the others). In both cases the NPmpi application runs to completion (using a TCP/IP transport not iWARP). In the first (simpler) mpirun command I get the same "No OpenFabrics connection schemes ..." warning message (followed by successful run to completion as noted). In the second mpirun command I get no particular warning messages and run to completion.

Hmm...If you are just adding tcp and keeping openib in the btl grouping,
it might be possible that it is using the openib btl with the simplier
commandline.  Can you try the simplier commandline without tcp in the
btl?  Also, please show the commands you are running (working and
non-working).

Is it possible for OMPI to generate output at runtime indicating exactly what btl(s) will be used?

Removing tcp below brings me back to the original simple command line that fails with the output shown above (indicating that openib btl will be disabled):

mpirun --mca orte_base_help_aggregate 0 --mca btl openib,self --hostfile ~/1usrv_ompi_machfile -np 2 ./NPmpi -p0 -l 1 -u 1024

Adding tcp below allows the application to run (but still indicating in the output warning messages that the openib btl will be disabled):

mpirun --mca orte_base_help_aggregate 0 --mca btl tcp,openib,self --hostfile ~/1usrv_ompi_machfile -np 2 ./NPmpi -p0 -l 1 -u 1024

Is there a reason why the mpirun command you are using is so complex?

Thanks,
Jon

I guess I just went a little wild while reading the FAQ and the output of "ompi_info --param btl openib".

and its output:
[snip]

Thanks for any advice/help you can offer.

-Ken