I am very new to the concept of MPI, and have only recently begun
researching it.  I have a very basic question about the way MPI works.

How exactly does MPI distribute user-created applications (binary code) over
a network?  Does it actually copy the binary into the local memory of each
node, and execute it?  If so, doesn't this put serious restrictions on the
heterogeneity of the network?  For example, in order to run a distributed
application (compiled with gcc) over a typical Linux cluster, you'd need to
make sure that each node has the same version of glibc, or there could be
issues running the binary.