Roman Martonak wrote:

I would like to profile the MPI code using the vampir trace integrated
in openmpi-1.3.2. In order to visualize
the trace files, apart from commercial vampir, is there some free
viewer for the OTF files ?
I'm rusty on this stuff.

If you go to http://www.paratools.com/otf.php there is an "OTF Tutorial". On slide 5, there is a diagram showing tools, formats, convertors, etc. The diagram is colorful, but it's a few years old and represents a particular community of tool developers/users. The implication seems to be that the answer to your question is "TAU". Best to check since I have never used TAU myself. That same URL has a link to TAU.

Depending on what you want to do, otfdump could also help. At least it's free!

One last option: Sun Studio tools are available for free on SPARC and x64 and on Solaris and Linux. You can use OMPI or Sun ClusterTools (Sun MPI, based on OMPI). You can collect MPI tracing data (which uses the VampirTrace instrumentation inside OMPI) and then view the data (MPI timelines and all sorts of statistical analyses of the data).