mpirun --display-allocation --display-map

Run a batch job that just prints out $PBS_NODEFILE. I'll bet that it isn't what we are expecting, and that the problem comes from it.

In a Torque environment, we read that file to get the list of nodes and #slots/node that are allocated to your job. We then filter that through any hostfile you provide. So all the nodes have to be in the $PBS_NODEFILE, which has to be in the expected format.

I'm a little suspicious, though, because of your reported error. It sounds like we are indeed trying to launch a daemon on a known node. I can only surmise a couple of possible reasons for the failure:

1. this is a node that is not allocated for your use. Was node0006 in your allocation?? If not, then the launch would fail. This would indicate we are not parsing the nodefile correctly.

2. if the node is in your allocation, then I would wonder if you have a TCP connection between that node and the one where mpirun exists. Is there a firewall in the way? Or something that would preclude a connection? Frankly, I doubt this possibility because it works when run manually.

My money is on option #1. :-)

If it is #1 and you send me a copy of a sample $PBS_NODEFILE on your system, I can create a way to parse it so we can provide support for that older version.

Ralph