I am running openmpi-1.3.3 on my cluster which is using
OFED-1.4.1 for Infiniband support.  I am comparing performance
between this version of OpenMPI and Mvapich2, and seeing a
very large difference in performance.

The code I am testing is WRF v3.0.1.  I am running the
12km benchmark.

The two builds are the exact same codes and configuration
files.  All I did different was use modules to switch versions
of MPI, and recompiled the code.

Performance:

Cores   Mvapich2    Openmpi
---------------------------
   8      17.3        13.9
  16      31.7        25.9
  32      62.9        51.6
  64     110.8        92.8
 128     219.2       189.4
 256     384.5       317.8
 512     687.2       516.7

The performance number is GFlops (so larger is better).

I am calling openmpi as:

/opt/openmpi/1.3.3-intel/bin/mpirun  --mca plm_rsh_disable_qrsh 1 --mca btl
openib,sm,self \
-machinefile /tmp/6026489.1.qntest.q/machines -x LD_LIBRARY_PATH -np $NSLOTS
/home/ctierney/bin/noaa_affinity ./wrf.exe

So,

Is this expected?  Are some common sense optimizations to use?
Is there a way to verify that I am really using the IB?  When
I try:

-mca bta ^tcp,openib,sm,self

I get the errors:
No available btl components were found!

This means that there are no components of this type installed on your
system or all the components reported that they could not be used.

This is a fatal error; your MPI process is likely to abort.  Check the
output of the "ompi_info" command and ensure that components of this
type are available on your system.  You may also wish to check the
value of the "component_path" MCA parameter and ensure that it has at
least one directory that contains valid MCA components.

But ompi_info is telling me that I have openib support:

   MCA btl: openib (MCA v2.0, API v2.0, Component v1.3.3)

Note, I did rebuild OFED and put it in a different directory
and did not rebuild OpenMPI.  However, since ompi_info isn't
complaining and the libraries are available, I am thinking that
is isn't a problem.  I could be wrong.

Thanks,
Craig
--