On Aug 25, 2009, at 1:16 PM, Jason Palmer wrote:

I seem to have fixed the problem using the miracle of LD_LIBRARY_PATH. I probably should have known about the importance of that environment variable already, and I imagine no knowing about it has caused me problems in the past.

Yes, this looks like it was your problem. Looking in your config.log, I see:

configure:35420: ./conftest
./conftest: error while loading shared libraries: libgfortran.so.2: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH to point to the right gfortran installation likely fixed this.

Glad you figured it out!

So besides the important environment variables listed in the openmpi docs, like LDFLAGS, perhaps something about the variable LD_LIBRARY_PATH should be mentioned as well.

Fair enough... will do.