I am not a game developer, but I don't think any games are actually using MPI in general, let alone to communicate with the SPEs (if that isn't what you were implying, my mistake - I apologize). If you're interested in learning about programming on the Cell BE, take a look at IBM's "Redbook" on it. The PDF is free and is a wonderful resource that I wish I had when starting to work on the CBE.

Keeping in mind that I'm not a game developer, what the SPUs are used for is the game physics and AI so there could be some shared data worked on in a "parallel way". Not all games use all of the SPUs so those games could be multi-core sequential like the Xbox. I found a post that specifies the SPU usage per game -

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7598043&postcount=1

Ashika Umanga Umagiliya wrote:
Are all the commercial PS3 games developed in "parallel way".(unlike sequential like XBox development) ? Do the developers have *think* in parallel way and use all the MPI_* like commands to communicate with SPEs ?