Hi Jeff,

I'm trying to install openmpi under cygwin on windows vista, 32 bit version.

It's very difficult to build Open MPI under cygwin, there was a thread talking about this before. See: http://www.open-mpi.org/community/lists/users/2008/11/7294.php

Is there a version of openmpi that works under cygwin on windows vista?

It should work, but the build process is complex and time consuming. I wouldn't recommend it.

Is there a version of openmpi that works under windows vista in some
other environment?

Yes, with CMake and Visual Studio.
If the answer to either of these is yes, is there a set of
instructions that applies to this isntallation?

Please check the wiki page with detailed instructions of using it : https://svn.open-mpi.org/trac/ompi/wiki/WindowsPort#HowtobuildOpenMPIonWindowsusingCMake

Does openmpi require cygserver?

If build with CMake, it doesn't use SSH or RSH for launching remote process, so cygserver is not necessary.

Does cygserver work under windows vista?

I don't know about this. Sorry.

Hope this would help.

Best Regards,
Shiqing