On Sep 27, 2009, at 1:45 PM, guosong wrote:

Hi Loh,
I used MPI_Init_thread(&argc,&argv, MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE, &provided); in my program and got provided = 0 which turns out to be the MPI_THREAD_SINGLE. Does this mean that I can not use MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE model?

Correct.

To get Open MPI to support MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE, you need to configure and build it with the --enable-mpi-threads switch to OMPI's ./ configure script. We don't build MPI_THREAD_MULTIPLE support by default because it does add some performance overhead.